Bioengineering also know as biomedical engineering is a discipline that combines engineering expertise with medical needs for the enhancement in healthcare. Bioengineering integrates the engineering sciences with biomedical and clinical practice to improve human health in 3 levels which are elaborated in this article.
This article is about bioengineering, biomedical engineering, biomedical, online degree, online engineering degree
Bioengineering also know as biomedical engineering is a discipline that combines engineering expertise with medical needs for the enhancement in healthcare. Bioengineering integrates the engineering sciences with biomedical and clinical practice to improve human health in 3 levels.
- Advance the knowledge of living systems by applying engineering, biology, imaging and computational sciences as diagnostic tools.
- Improve the function of living systems by designing devices, systems and constructs based on biological and non-biological components.
- Prevent the injury to living systems by building models, algorithms and devices that may predict or guide behavior.
The major advances in bioengineering include the development of artificial joints, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the heart pacemaker, arthroscopy, angioplasty, bioengineered skin, kidney dialysis, and the heart-lung machine.
By combining biology and medicine with engineering, biomedical engineers develop devices and procedures that solve medical and health-related problems. A person that involve in bioengineering field may choose to specialize in many specialty areas, among the well know specialty areas in bioengineering field include:
Bioinstrumentation is the application of electronics, measurement principles and techniques to develop devices used in diagnosis and treatment of disease. The advanced technology in computing plays an important role in bioinstrumentation. One example of bioinstrumentation device is medical imaging system, a device that enables a medical specialist to view and analyze 3 dimensional images captured about from here”>from their patients. Enhanced computing technology & power is needed to process the large amount of information in a medical imaging system.
Biomechanics is the study of mechanical parameters which drive living system motion. The biomechanics experts are the people contributed in human organ spare parts development, these human organ spare parts include artificial heart and replacement heart's valves, the artificial kidney and the artificial hip.
3. Clinical Engineering
Clinical engineering is the application of technology for health care in hospitals. The clinical engineers work along with other medical team to adapt instrumentation to the specific needs of the hospital. This often involves the interface of instruments with computer systems and customized software for instrument control and data analysis.
4. Rehabilitation Engineering
Rehabilitation engineering is a new and growing specialty area of biomedical engineering. Rehabilitation engineering involves the design and application of devices to restore function to the physically disabled. Biomedical engineers contribute to every field of rehabilitation engineering: communication enhancement for hearing and speech, wheelchairs and wheeled mobility, prosthetics, technologies for orthopedic and spinal cord injury.
Biomedical Engineer's Tasks
The examples of major contributions of biomedical engineers include:
- Designing and constructing cardiac pacemakers, defibrillators, artificial kidneys, hearts, blood vessels, joints, arms, and legs.
- Designing computer systems to monitor patients during surgery or in intensive care.
- Designing instruments and devices for therapeutic uses, such as a laser system for eye surgery or a device for automated delivery of insulin.
- Designing clinical laboratories and other units within the hospital and health care delivery system that utilize advanced technology.
- Designing, building and investigating medical imaging systems based on X-rays, magnetic fields (magnetic resonance imaging), ultrasound, or newer modalities.
Bioengineering is a discipline that integrates the engineering sciences with the life sciences to improve human health.
Posted by Online Education Experts
Posted in News